Featuring Miss Washington Jr. Teen!



From the time I've been competing in NAM and throughout my reign as the 2016 Miss Washington Jr. Teen, I've learned so many valuable life lessons that I will always remember. I gained confidence and skills that strengthened my character. NAM has taught me the importance of grit, living with purpose, and most importantly, how to embrace failure courageously. I have competed many times for the crown and persevered. Though it was challenging, I am thankful for not giving up, because taking risks and having the will to aspire my dream polished me into the person I am today. Holding the title of Miss Washington Jr. Teen allowed me to focus on the platform that is of the greatest importance to me: education and youth leadership. With the crown, I was able to represent NAM in the classrooms of a variety of schools, from kids who lived in impoverished places where they lack resources, to those in advanced learning environments who are gifted with opportunities. Regardless, I experienced first-hand the significance of being a role model. From my visits to elementary classrooms of different school districts, I realized how fortunate I am to have had an excellent education growing up and how I eagerly want to give back to those in need. I want to continue to take action and inspire young children to be good in school and emerge as future leaders. I was able to distribute the school supply donations collected from the state pageant to various schools for the Seattle and Auburn School District. I also donated and participated at the Hopelink school supplies drive last fall. Reading poems from my favorite poetry book by Shel Silverstein: Where the Sidewalk Ends, and teaching a class through a reading test exercise was my favorite part of engaging with the students. It truly warms my heart when young kids can be so appreciative and full of gratitude. It was fun helping out with the Bingo stand at a school’s field day and helped during one of the first grade classroom science experiments involving bridges made out of spaghetti and marshmallows. In addition to working in classrooms, I assisted faculty kids through activities with my school’s Community Engagement Program and packaged meals with Feed Your Neighbor at Merrimack College and the Rise Against Hunger Packaging Event. I volunteer at Food Lifeline Seattle during school breaks and walked for Girl Up’s Global 5k. While attending a boarding school at the East Coast, I have the opportunity of serving as a senior board member of the Non-Sibi Society where we execute kind projects around the school and greater community. It was a privilege to be featured in the Phillipian: the oldest preparatory newspaper in the nation! I would like to thank the NAM Organization for creating this pageant and helping girls build confidence, allowing girls like me to realize their dreams at an early age. Many thanks to all the wonderful people who made my reign a very memorable one!







Comments

Popular Posts