Get to know Miss Oregon Pre-Teen!


After four years in a row of being 1st runner-up, the overwhelming happiness consumed me when my name was called as the 2017 National American Miss Oregon Pre-Teen!  Throughout the year, I have had so much fun making awesome new friends and memories!  My sister Queens and I have done multiple parades, have had many laughs and smiled for a lot of pictures! 
My favorite event this year was going to the Tulip Festival.  I really enjoyed looking at all the booths and smelling all the pretty flowers.  I also had the privilege of volunteering.  This year, I loved volunteering at the Brookdale Senior Olympics, as well as, helping out with anything needed at the Ronald Mc Donald House.   Every other week I was teaching crafts at RMDH Fun Junction and I also enjoyed dressing up and handing out programs at the RMDH Hearts & Hands Gala. Another favorite event for me was collecting over 400 toys for the Holiday Store at RMDH for Christmas.  I was also able to donate books and school supplies to several organizations that were in need of them.  In addition, my program, “Arts for the Ages” donated over 100 items to the NAM Serves project in Texas.  It feels so good to be able to help others.  My motto is:  “In order to make a difference, you have to Be the Difference.”  I challenge everyone to “Be the Difference.”
Being at NAM Nationals was a blast!  I won the Essay contest in which I wrote about “A G.I.R.L. With Dreams” and I also placed 2nd in Spokesmodel giving a speech by the same title, that I also wrote.  I was so proud to represent Oregon and to be able to see so many friends that I have made throughout the years, along with the National Staff … they make the entire experience so much fun!
Thank you’s have to be delivered.  To each of my sister Queens, I love you all so much.  Thank you for constantly being fun to be around and staying true to yourselves.  To my Grammy and Grampy, for always supporting me.  To Mr. and Mrs. Mayes (our new pageant parents), I can never thank you enough for the opportunities that you have brought my way via National American Miss.  I cannot forget about my Momma.  She does endless things for me in the payment of love.  Thank you Mommy so much for always over achieving the role of being a Mom.  Finally, to God ... my rock and Father.  I thank you, Lord, for giving me strength and perseverance to pursue my dreams.
A quick note to future Pre-Teens:   I know that you may hear this often, but the key to winning, is to Be You!  Let’s not forget the simple phrase of “Have Fun!”  Show the world who YOU are and Shine Bright!
With much love and pride, I will forever be your 2017 National American Miss Oregon Pre-Teen!
Déja Fitzwater

#BeTheDifference     #MakeSmilesHappen     #BeAVolunteer











Comments

Popular Posts