Take a Look at Miss New York Teen 2012!






My journey with National American Miss started nine years ago when I was a shy, scared junior pre-teen. Over the course of almost a decade, I have learned and grown in ways that I could have never imagined. This time with NAM has truly been a journey and I have grown up with the best NAMily that anybody could ask for. As I spend my last time on the NAM stage, I know that my journey has just begun and NAM has set the foundation for so much yet to come. 
Looking back on this past year, I can truly say that it has been one that is life-changing. From being crowning Miss New York Teen 2012SM starting my first year of college (my first of eight as a BA/MD student), helping rebuild my hometown after Hurricane Sandy, competing at the National pageant in California, traveling to a remote village in India for a study abroad program, getting to advocate for my platform: SPARK: Students Partnering and Reaching Kids (facebook.com/sparkselfesteem), and serving on a medical brigade to impoverished communities in Nicaragua, I have had a whirlwind of a year! 
My travels, appearances, studies, performances, and experiences this year have been so poignant and powerful. I have been able to complete service projects such as SPARK workshops in elementary schools, donating over 7,000 books to various charities, rebuilding my hometown, Staten Island, after Hurricane Sandy, and volunteer at various charitable walks and events. I was honored to appear at parades, the Debi Rose Women in History Ceremony, the Miss New York Pageant, EBC Radio, and other community events. 
This journey is truly process of growing and evolution. Win or lose, the most important thing is what you learn and how you grow. It doesn’t take a crown to change the world, it takes willpower, determination, and dedication. I hope that the NAM experience is one that you can take with the mindset of a true winner: a young lady that comes to challenge herself, grow, and befriend some of the most talented and impressive young women. 
I am so thankful for National American Miss for giving me the chance to represent and organization whose mission and ideals I believe in and be a role model for young girls. To all the NAM staff, my family and friends who made this year so amazing, I am forever grateful for everything! 
With sparkles and service, 

Shelley Jain
 Miss New York Teen 2012SM

Making an appearance !

Volunteering with Sister Queens!
Making a Difference 

This is what it is all about!

Fun at Disney during the NAM National Pageant!




Comments

Popular Posts