Featuring Miss New Jersey!



Seven years ago I stepped onto the National American Miss stage. I had a beautiful ball gown and simply could not wait to wear it. However, I was a shy girl, a bit terrified to speak my introduction. There was no chance that I would enter the spokesmodel, actress, or a number of other optionals that required public speaking. My takeaways though were new friends, a fun weekend, and the words of the emcee who told us to always pursue our dreams, try new things, and be fearless. She encouraged us all to come back again. I did.
Each year I prepared a little better, practiced a little more, and tried something new. Each year I improved my scores, earned trophies, plaques, and recognition, and always, always, made new friends and had a great weekend. I became more confident, comfortable with public speaking, and every year earned a trophy for trying multiple new optionals.
Last summer I was crowned National American Miss New Jersey. Years of hopes and dreams had come to fruition and I was so very excited and honored to begin my year. As I stood on stage with a crown on my head and roses in my arms little did I know that this was going to be one for the books.
Appearances, modeling, service, and more started within days of crowning. I met my sister queens and we had a wonderful time getting to know each other on the beach in Atlantic City during a photoshoot. Over the next few months we met up at events, supported each other in person, and via social media, and planned for Nationals. We also supported those affected by the awful hurricanes last season with collections and donations of school supplies.
I was also fortunate to be in a virtual group with the Miss contestants across the U.S., and by the time we met in Anaheim, many were like friends I had known forever. Nationals was everything I had heard about, and so much more. Themed rehearsals were so much fun. Going to Disneyland, Hollywood, and the Thanksgiving banquet, however, are memories that will last forever.
But the journey did not end at Nationals. For me the work with my Foundation was gearing up. What an honor to have so many sister queens attend a casting and ultimately strut the runway in support of children on the autism spectrum at Shop. Sell. Strut! ™
This past year, I have run, walked, skated, danced, and strutted in support of others. I’ve used the respect of the National American Miss name and my title to show kindness and compassion to as many people as I could. I wish the same for each and every girl stepping on the NAM stage for the first time or as repeat contestants.  Remember the words of NAM “Unleash Your Potential!” Best of luck to all of the contestants competing this weekend, and in all of your future service activities and adventures.
With love and support,
2017 National American Miss New Jersey

Amanda Witkowski


Comments

Popular Posts