Get to Know The 2016-2017 National American Miss Pre-Teen Joey McDowell!




NAM: Tell us about yourself:
I am a silly, fun-loving girl who enjoys being with family and friends.  I love playing games and being adventurous.  Some of my favorite things to do are white water river rafting, boating, hunting, and going to Aggie football games.
NAM: What activities are you involved in?
I train 16 hours a week as a level 7 gymnast. 
NAM: What are your plans for the future?
I plan to be an Olympic All-Around Gold Medalist.  I dream of owning my own gymnastic club where I can coach gymnastics to young girls in a positive manner.
NAM: How would your friends describe you?


I believe my friends would describe me as kind, courageous, and persistent.
NAM: What motto or quote best describes you?
The scripture quote from Philippians 4:13, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me,” always helps me in my time of need. 
NAM: What is the best advice you have ever received?
The best advice I have ever received is to always be myself.
NAM: How did you prepare for the NAM National pageant?
I did many things to prepare for the National pageant including vacuuming in my high heels, sight seeing in my hometown, and practicing my talent routine in front of anyone who would watch me!


NAM: Where is your favorite place to shop?
One of my favorite places to shop is ivivva.  As a gymnast, I spend most of my time in leotards and athletic gear.  This store has everything I need.  I even got to model clothes for them!!!
NAM: How have pageants shaped your life?
I have been participating in pageants since I was six years old.  I believe that pageants have helped mold the person I am today!  When I was six years old, I wouldn’t even take a picture by myself at a photo shoot.  I made my mom do the photo shoot with me.  I have definitely gained self-confidence through pageantry.


NAM: What is your most prized possession?
Since gymnastics is my passion, I value all of my gymnastics possessions especially my bar grips.  Without these grips, I could not get through my bar routine.
NAM: What is your favorite movie?
I like all movies, but currently my favorite movie is Cinderella. 
NAM: What is your favorite TV show?
I love watching Backstage.


NAM: What is your book?
I have enjoyed reading a gymnastics series by Dominque Moceanu called The Go-for-the-Gold Gymnasts.
NAM: What advice do you have for future NAM girls?
I would like to tell girl to “Be yourself; never be someone you are not.”
NAM: If you could be famous for anything what would it be?
I would love to be known for winning the Olympic Gold Medal in gymnastics.
NAM: What is your dream job?
I cannot think of anything better than going to work with my best friend every day.  
I dream of owning and operating my own gymnastics club with her.


NAM: How do you plan to use your title?
Since pageantry has helped me gain self-confidence, I would like to help young girls by providing them with tools to gain self-confidence.  I want to start a “Princess Pop Up Party” program where young girls can feel empowered through activities and positivity.
NAM: How do you volunteer in your community?
Currently, I am a Student Ambassador for the Wounded Warrior Project and the AVM Research Foundation.  I would like to use my title and new “Princess Pop Up Party” program to help raise funds and awareness for these organizations.
NAM: What is your most embarrassing moment?
When I was in third grade, I stepped on my skirt and it fell off exposing my underwear to the entire class.  I was mortified at the time, but now I can look back and laugh at the situation.


NAM: What is your favorite subject in school?
Currently, I am enjoying taking Theatre Arts at my junior high.  It has allowed me to be more self-confident when getting in front of my peers. 
NAM: What is your biggest fear?
My biggest fear would be losing my friends and family.  They are my biggest fans who encourage me and support me in all my endeavors.
NAM: Who is your role model?
My role model is the All-Around Olympic Gold Medalist, Simone Biles.
NAM: If you could go back in time to any historical event what would it be?
I would love to go back in time to the 2016 Olympics and be a spectator in the crowd when Simone Biles won the gold medal.
NAM: If you could have dinner with anyone, who would it be?
I would love to have dinner with Simone Biles.
NAM: What is your favorite part about National American Miss?
I love the sisterhood and making new friends.  I met my best friend through NAM three years ago.  Even though she lives in a different state, we still make it a point to see each other every year!

NAM: How did you get started with NAM? How long have you been involved?
I received a letter in the mail inviting me to do a photoshoot and to learn about NAM.  I have been involved with NAM since I was 6 years old. 
NAM: What is your definition of a NAM girl?
I believe a NAM girl is an inspiring and courageous girl!
NAM: What do you like to do for fun?
I am just a normal girl who enjoys hanging out with my friends and being silly.  We like to ride our hover boards, play basketball, make up dances, watch you tube videos, paint our nails, and play games.


NAM: What makes your state unique?
I live in Houston where there is always something to do.  We are known for the Houston Rodeo, Johnson Space Center (NASA), and Galveston beaches.
NAM: What is your favorite food?
I love sushi, especially California rolls.
NAM: What makes you laugh?
I love being silly with my friends and family.  My Dad’s cheesy jokes make me laugh the most!
NAM: What was your first thought you had when you captured your national title?
My first thought after being crowned was that I couldn’t wait to start the year with my NAMily!!!
NAM: People would be surprised to know what about you?
I earned my third national title this year and made NAM history!!!









Comments

Popular Posts