Get To Know The 2016-2017 National All-American Miss Teen Michaela Edstrand!



NAM: What activities are you involved in?
Tennis team, FBLA, Student Council, Speech Team, HOSA, volunteering with special needs organizations such as the Miss Amazing pageant for which I am on the state board and a national ambassador, Munroe-Meyer ( a day camp/ recreational therapy program), HETRA ( a horse therapy program), Special Olympics swim team and Ollie Webb ( mentoring a special needs teenager). I also speak for a organization named Smart Girl Style about being responsible on social media. I recently got into an event planning program at the University of Omaha, Nebraska. I am also a high school sales rep for Four Sisters Boutique.

NAM: What are your plans for the future?
To go to college and get a degree in either special education or communications/ marketing/ event planning. I also plan to continue to volunteer for special needs groups. I one day hope to travel to Africa with a group that helps spread special needs awareness. I also dream of running my own event planning firm, and/or fundraising for a non profit.

NAM: How would your friends describe you?
Very outgoing, can laugh at myself easily, self motivated, loyal, friendly to all, caring, patient, goofy and generous!

NAM: What motto or quote best describes you?
Be the change you want to see in the world- Gandhi



NAM: What is the best advice you have ever received?
Use your sense of humor, and be ok with getting embarrassed. Life is too short. You have to realize that situations/ life is always changing.

NAM: How did you prepare for the NAM National pageant?
Practice! Practice! Practice! I said my introduction in my sleep even! I walked in my dress and heels every chance I got! I practiced until I felt confident enough to do it on stage.

NAM: Where is your favorite place to shop?
Four Sisters Boutique, a local boutique here in Omaha. I am a high school rep who hands out coupons and comes up with sale ideas. They have very affordable, modest, and cute clothes.

NAM: How have pageants shaped your life?
Pageants have given me a lot of confidence by teaching me to handle myself with poise whether it be doing one-on-one interviews or speaking in front of an audience. These are skills I can use the rest of my life! I've become more confident to pursue other activities that will help me with my future goals of event plannng, fundraising and working with kids with special needs.



NAM: What is your most prized possession?
Besides my crown and banner...(: My family, friends, my bible, and dog.

NAM: What is your favorite movie?
Star Wars!!!

NAM: What is your favorite TV show?
Parks and Recreation

NAM: What is your book?
Me Before You

NAM: What advice do you have for future NAM girls?
Enjoy EVERY moment you can! Have fun and make friends! Regardless of the outcome, you have accomplished so much just by getting on stage and speaking, or going through that interview. No matter what you gain so much that weekend!


NAM: If you could be famous for anything what would it be?
For something I did volunteer-wise or something I did to make a positive change in the lives of others.

NAM: What is your dream job?
Running a huge event planning business in Chicago or a big city!


NAM: How do you plan to use your title?
I'm so excited for this year! Something that has been a big passion in my life is volunteering and I hope to show other girls how much impact volunteering can have on their lives as well. I also hope to promote more social media awareness and show other girls how to be respectful of themselves and others on social media!


NAM: How do you volunteer in your community?
Volunteering is a huge passion of mine. I volunteer with various special needs organizations. I volunteer with Munroe Meyer, a special needs kids camp. I mentor a special needs girl through Ollie Webb Inc., I volunteer at a special needs horse riding camp, I volunteer  a lot with Miss Amazing a pageant for special needs girls. I speak to schools/ young girls about being safe online and how to respect themselves on social media with an organization called Smart Girl Style. Through my school we volunteer helping in the classroom at a special needs school. I volunteered as a Special Olympics Swim coach as well.


NAM: What is your most embarrassing moment?
I got called for honors roll at our all school assembly. As I was walking down, I face planted down the steps in front of the whole school. No one laughed except me! It was awful, but so funny!

NAM: What is your favorite subject in school?
History! I love learning how our past got us to our present.

NAM:  If you had three wishes what would you wish for?
More wishes!!!

NAM: What is your biggest fear?
Snakes! Being stranded on an island as well.

NAM: What is the biggest misconception about your generation?
The biggest misconception about my generation is that we are too self-involved and have no face-to-face social skills because of our use of social media.



NAM: Who is your role model?
Everyone in my life from my family to the kids I volunteer with, to the other volunteers who has been a positive influence have  inspired me to be the best version of myself  I hope to inspire others as well through my work in the community.

NAM: If you could go back in time to any historical event what would it be?
When World War II ended, Times Square in New York City

NAM: Who is to most influential person in the world?
Unfortunately, there are a lot of negative influences in popular culture that influence kids and adults today. That is why I try to volunteer and teach kids about the proper use of social media. I want to empower them to be positive influential role models for their classmates.

NAM: If you could have dinner with anyone, who would it be?
Audrey Hepburn! I admire her style.  I would love to talk about how she maintained such a classy persona and about all her charitable work through UNICEF etc.



NAM: What is your favorite part about National American Miss?
I love how NAM encourages young women to be who we are, not anyone else, but how different we and to embrace it! Also, I love how high energy and fun it is! I get goosebumps when they play the opening video at orientation!

NAM: How did you get started with NAM? How long have you been involved?
I got a letter when I was 13 in 7th grade. I went to open calls to see if I could get into state. I remember getting the call and screaming I was so excited! I've been doing NAM for 4 years now.

NAM: What is your definition of a NAM girl?
When I think of a NAM girl who has inner and outer beauty, she's confident, independent, she believes in herself, she's involved in her community, and she's making a difference everyday. 

NAM: What do you like to do for fun?
Finding volunteer opportunities, shopping, experimenting with make-up and hanging with friends!

NAM: What makes your state unique?
Nebraskans are known for their great work ethic and for making judgements based on common sense values.



NAM: What is your favorite food?
Pomegranates and ice cream!

NAM: What makes you laugh?
My friends, family, and myself! Also animals doing funny things.

NAM: What was your first thought you had when you captured your national title?
Is this really happening? I was in such shock!

NAM: People would be surprised to know what about you?

I was really bullied in junior high and didn't have a lot of confidence with speaking in front of people.

Comments

Popular Posts