Get to Know The 2016-2017 National All-American Miss Jr. Teen Sydney Rowland!





NAM: Tell us about yourself:
Hello! My name is Sydney Rowland, your 2016-2017 National All-American Miss Jr. Teen! I am 16 years old and I am from the beautiful steel city of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.


NAM: What activities are you involved in?
Some activities I'm involved in at school are the German Club, Interact Club,Key Club, and Mini Thon committee. I also enjoy golfing, yoga, and being with my friends.


NAM: What are your plans for the future?
A really big goal of mine is to be a broadcast journalist. I have dreamed of being on Good Morning America, or even the Today show!


NAM: How would your friends describe you?
I would think they would say that I am a good friend who if funny,
smart, caring about others.



NAM: What motto or quote best describes you?
The best quote that describes me, and is also my favorite quote, is by Abraham Lincoln: “ Whatever you are, be a good one.” The reason this quote describes me is because everything that I achieve to do, I always try to push myself farther and be the best I can be.


NAM: What is the best advice you have ever received?
The best advice I ever received would be to always be myself and to always try my best at whatever i try.


NAM: How did you prepare for the NAM National pageant?
For the months approaching NAM Nationals I was very excited. The first thing I did was find the perfect formal wear dress that expressed who I am. I also practiced interview questions with my friends and family.


NAM: Where is your favorite place to shop?
I love the clothes from American Eagle and shoes from DSW.




NAM: How have pageants shaped your life?
Pageants have taught me to never give up in everything that I do. I have been doing NAM since I was seven years old and I have learned new lessons every year. One lesson I always come back with is that I'm not going to win every single pageant I do, and I think that thats a good thing. It teaches me that I'm not always going to get the job I applied for, and that I'm not always going to get a 100% on a test. Pageants have taught me that working hard, and doing your best can pay off in the end. It takes a few tries to be the perfect you

NAM: What is your most prized possession?
Not a possession, but my family and pets are the most important things to me.

NAM: What is your favorite movie?
My favorite movie is “The Phantom of the Opera”, my dad introduced me to the movie at a young age and it's still one of my favorites! I even had the opportunity to see it on Broadway; which was a big dream come true.


NAM: What is your favorite TV show?
Mr Robot, the acting and storylines are amazing. It's a show that really engages my mind when I watch it.


NAM: What is your book?
The Great Gatsby, the glitz and glamor of the 1920s fascinates me.




NAM: What advice do you have for future NAM girls?
I want all NAM girls, present and future, to know that everything that you set your mind to, you can achieve. You are not always going to win on your first try, it takes time, practice, and motivation to achieve even the smallest of goals. I have been competing in NAM since I was seven years old, so I understand that it takes time; but as long as you never give up on your dreams you can achieve anything.


NAM: If you could be famous for anything what would it be?
I would love to invent or create something that would totally change everyone’s day to day life.


NAM: What is your dream job?
To be the cohost of the TODAY Show and be counted in the ranks of Barbara Walters, Katie Couric, and Matt Lauer


NAM: How do you plan to use your title?
To bring attention to the NAM organization to help girls gain confidence and life skills. I also hope to show others my age that even as teenagers we can make a difference in the world.



NAM: How do you volunteer in your community?
In my community I volunteer at my local community outreach program, where we help families in need. I volunteer at coat drives, school supplies distributions, Toy drive, Easter basket distributions and more. In the spring and summer my family and I volunteer at fundraising 5k’s by handing out waters to the runners. During the holidays my friends and family visit patients at nursing homes and deliver them presents for the Holiday.

NAM: What is your most embarrassing moment? 
One of my most embarrassing moments was freshman year when I slipped and fell down the stairs and everyone saw me. That will teach me not to carry every single binder and book with me; and not to wear slippery shoes, lol.


NAM: What is your favorite subject in school?
My favorite class this year is anatomy. Its very interesting and has the perfect level of challenge. I love doing all the labs and being able to dissect and learn about a wide range of organisms.


NAM:  If you had three wishes what would you wish for?
1, A time machine so that I could see all of the great moments in history first hand.
2, Good health and prosperity for my family and friends.
3, A phone that never runs out of battery power.




NAM: What is your biggest fear?
I have always been afraid of spiders. They creep me out!


NAM: What is the biggest misconception about your generation?
That we all want things to come to us easily. We are not afraid to buckle down to get the work done.


NAM: Who is your role model?
Someone who has always been a role model to me is Emma Watson. I have always loved her since the Harry Potter movie series, but she is much more than an actress waving a wand.  Recently she was a part of a movement that hid books in subway stations for people to find and read, I thought that was really unique and inspiring.


NAM: If you could go back in time to any historical event what would it be?
Either to be in the moon when Apollo 11 landed or to be first in line on the opening day of Disneyland.




NAM: Who is to most influential person in the world?
A child’s parents (or caregivers) since they have the ability to take their experiences and help the child to grow into a better person


NAM: If you could have dinner with anyone, who would it be?
Robbin Williams. He was funny and smart !


NAM: What is your favorite part about National American Miss?
I love meeting all the girls from across the country, and creating life long memories and friendships.


NAM: How did you get started with NAM? How long have you been involved?
I have been involved with NAM since I was 7 years old. ( I know that's crazy!!) A friend of mine recommended me to do the pageant all those years ago and I have been in love with it since! It always keeps me coming back because of all the amazing things that I have learned and accomplished throughout the years.



NAM: What is your definition of a NAM girl?
Someone who always believes in themselves and never gives up while chasing their dreams.
NAM: What do you like to do for fun?
Go to the movies, swim, try new restaurants and cuisines


NAM: What makes your state unique?
It is the birthplace of our nation and has so many historical sites.


NAM: What is your favorite food?
Gaucho, a new Argentinian restaurant with phenomenal Empanadas.




NAM: What makes you laugh?
My cat when she sits at the kitchen table with us at dinner time like she is another dinner guest.


NAM: What was your first thought you had when you captured your national title? 
This can’t be real!!!!
  
NAM: People would be surprised to know what about you?
That I can be a total Sci- Fi Geek.




Comments

Popular Posts