Check out this New Interview with Former NAM winner Olivia Henken!



LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - A Louisville tax preparer with some serious singing chops made it through the blind auditions during Tuesday night's latest round of The Voice on WAVE 3 News and NBC.
Olivia Henken's website got the attention of the show. She was invited to first try out in Atlanta which got her to the blind auditions in California and as America saw Tuesday, her Louisville family was right there with her every step of the way.
Belting out a Carrie Underwood hit with finesse Olivia Henken, 25, looked like she had been performing all her life.

Actually, she has.
Olivia's singing career began in a Florida restaurant on family vacation 21 years ago. Her mom Connie Henken said, "She was probably 4 years old and she sang 'You Ain't Woman Enough to Take My Man' and the crowd went wild," she laughed, "And they were handing her money and I said, Olivia you're singing for your supper tonight."
From a child serenading country music fans to -- taking the 2008 title of National American Miss Teen, runner-up in The Miss Kentucky Pageant, singing the National Anthem at University of Louisville basketball games, forming the Olivia Henken band, winning Louisville's 2012 Battle of the Bands, opening for legend Charlie Daniels, to recording a record and making a music video -- it all prepared Oliva for the nerve-racking moment of stepping onto a national stage to sing for some of the biggest names in music.



"I can't describe the feeling of standing on that little triangle of a stage," Olivia explained, "And with those four backs of the chairs turned." Olivia continued, "For Christina Aguilera to want to turn for me and saw something in my voice, like she is The Voice, so it's just such an honor to be on her team and when Cee Lo ( Green) turned around at the end, I was like, oh my Gosh, Now I have a choice!"
The choice of Team Christina had her family going nuts next door.
Now, the excitement is pouring into the PRP tax preparer's family business on Dixie Highway.  "We watched it last night about 100 times," Connie said. 
Olivia's Grandmother, Mary Oliva, is still nervous. "I kept standing there, praying to myself that the Lord would take care of her and take her through this because she wants it so bad," Mary said, "And I was just a nervous wreck over it the whole thing, but it worked out for the best."

Olivia's family is her support system as managers, roadies and number one fan Grandfather Kenny Oliva.  He said, "I'll be 81-years-old in December and I'll still get up on the bar and dance (when she's playing) no kidding!"
"I couldn't ask for better supporters, they've literally been here every step of the way," Olivia said, "Everything that I could ask for they've always been there for me."
Kenny said if Olivia keeps rolling along on The Voice and makes it big one day, it's going to kill his social life because he goes to all the local performances.
Olivia can't tell how far she gets, we'll all just have to stay tuned. The Voice airs Monday and Tuesday nights at 8 p.m. on WAVE 3 News and NBC.

Comments

Popular Posts